Lana Ogilvie is no stranger to trailblazing. The first woman of color to land a contract with CoverGirl Cosmetics, Lana took the fashion world by storm, gracing the pages and covers of fashion magazines and runways all around the world.
Lana starred in the NYDJ 2016 Fit To Be Campaign alongside Christie Brinkley, Ashley Graham, and Bridget Moynahan, bringing her unforgettable beauty, fashion smarts and amazing talent to the set.
We sat down with the beauty icon to talk all things style, NYDJ, and what’s on her holiday wish list this season!
1. You’ve modeled all over the world! What’s the one thing you can’t leave the house without?
LO: I always have a small tin of L'Occitaine Shea Butter in my bag. Planes and air-conditioned buildings makes skin very dry. You can use this Shea butter on your face, hands, and lips. It has no fragrance. Also a small jar or Jasmine Oil from the health food store. It doubles as fragrance and air freshener when your seat mates on the plane or subway aren’t so fresh!
2. The “Fit To Be?” shoot was so fun! What was the most memorable moment you had on set?
LO: I enjoyed the whole day. I have known Bridget for many years through modeling and it was great to catch up with her and see how successful she’s been. Same with Ashley. We worked together a few times about 4 years ago and I’m so happy for her to see where her career is taking her. Christie Brinkley is an icon. Great to see her as well after having worked alongside her as a CoverGirl spokesperson.
3. We love your jewelry line, Sabre! Between modeling, designing and running your own business, how do you find time for it all?
LO: Sabre is my artistic outlet. I really love creating things with my hands. I wish I had more time for it. The days are never long enough!
4. What made you fall in love with NYDJ?
LO: The fit. They really fit amazing and people will notice! I also love that it’s such an inclusive brand for all women.
5. What NYDJ styles are on your Christmas list this year? What styles make the perfect gift for your girlfriends?
LO: I’m obsessed with the Alina Legging in Faux Leather Coated Denim & the Alina Legging in Glitter Coated Future Fit Denim with Tuxedo Stripe! so perfect to wear and share this holiday season.
6. If you could go back in time, who would be the one woman you would meet up with for cocktails?
LO: Maya Angelou and Ella Fitzgerald. I realize that is two, but....
7. Your modeling career has been incredible! What’s your tried and true tip for women everywhere to look great in a photo?
LO: Never have the light above you if you can help it. It creates shadows under you eyes. Direct light is more flattering.
8. What’ your favorite way to style denim for the holiday season?
LO: Depends on the occasion! Heels for night time, ankle boots for day.
9. What are your go-to tips for holiday party dressing?
LO: High heels dress up everything! And a statement cuff from Sabre Jewelry!
Lana puts her best foot forward at the 2016 Fit To Be Campaign shoot.