NYC-based artist and illustrator Inslee Fariss knows a thing or two about signature style.
The brains behind Inslee By DesignInslee creates one-of-a-kind illustrations, fusing her passion for art with her serious love for all things fashion.
We sat down with Inslee to talk all things inspiration, art and her latest muse, NYDJ!
1. When did you first know that you wanted to become an artist?
IF:It’s hard to pinpoint a specific time because I’ve always considered myself an artist and expressed myself through the creation of art. I knew I wanted to illustrate professionally when I realized how much joy my art brought to others. My college friends encouraged me to pursue my career as a sophomore at Washington & Lee University.
2. What inspires you to create art every day?
IF: Living in New York is truly inspiring! Everyone I see on the street is like a runway show come to life.
3. We see that you primarily illustrate women in your work. Is this intentional? What’s inspiring about the female figure?
IF: Yes, I’ve always been drawn to women’s fashion and the way clothes interact with the female form.
4. How has your illustration style evolved over time?
IF: I am always learning new tricks and techniques. My style has grown with me and become more refined over time.
5. In the digital age, artists are now creating illustrations using everything from iPads to illustration software. What’s your favorite way to create? Paintbrush to paper or via digital device?
IF: I still love paintbrush to paper, there’s nothing else like it! Although, I am having a lot of fun with my new Apple pencil.
6. We love both your personal style and the fashions you depict in your paintings. What’s your must-have style from NYDJ for spring?
IF: I love the slimming silhouette of the Alina Leggings in denim!
7. How would you describe your signature style?
IF: I would describe my style as feminine and traditional. Although, I can’t resist a fun trend like an off the shoulder top!
8. We’re dying to take one of your illustration classes! Any advice for emerging artist and female entrepreneurs alike on making their career goals a reality?
IF: I’d love to have you join for one of my classes! My advice to emerging artists and female entrepreneurs would be: it’s great to study the work of others, but first and foremost, you must find your own unique style of working. Also, don’t be afraid to harness the power of social media!
9. Between creating new art series, teaching classes and being a puppy mom to the adorable Ophie, how do you find time to balance your passion with your personal life?
IF: I’m still working on finding the balance between work and my personal life. As a small business owner, it’s definitely somewhat of a struggle. I try and make sure I find time for myself, although some days I feel like I live and breathe Inslee by Design! Ophie definitely makes each day more fun by joining me in the studio.
10. We love the amazing illustration you created for the NYDJ #FitToBe campaign! What does the perfect fitting pair of jeans make you feel “Fit To Be?”
IF: Thank you! Whenever people see themselves in illustration form, they typically say they wished they look like that in real life! The perfect pair of jeans can make you feel like an illustration come to life or “Fit To Be” sketched.
11. What’s your go-to denim style? Skinny, flare or straight leg? Any new denim trends you’re currently loving?
IF: Love a good skinny jean! I’m excited to try wide leg denim culottes this season.
Inslee’s illustrated take on the 2016 Fit To Be campaign, featuring Christie Brinkley!
To see more from Inslee, be sure to follow along on Instagram @inslee.