Stylist to the stars Inge Fonteyne has seen it all. From her days as senior fashion editor at ELLE to her current work styling the world’s most famous super models, Inge is a fashion authority like no other.
We sat down with Inge and talked personal style, NYDJ, and got the inside scoop on her role in styling the 2016 NYDJ "Fit to Be" campaign.
1. How would you describe your personal style and how do you allow this to influence your day-to-day work when styling others?
IF:My personal style is very boho, 70’s French street style. I grew up in the 70’s and it was my favorite decade for fashion. I love denim with almost everything. You can make any outfit complete with a pair of jeans, whether super casual or very dressed up with a blazer and a pair of heels. When I am dressing other people, I have to take their personal style into consideration and collaborate with them to create a very beautiful and chic look.
2. When you’re constantly on the go and making others look their best, how do you stay true to your own sense of style?
IF: I wish I could wear heels more often, but being on the go and on my feet all day, I have to consider comfort. I do find that a bootie with a small heel is as comfortable as a pair of Jack Purcell All-Stars, again a very typical French street style tip. I like to pair them with jeans and a beautiful silk blouse. It is the diversity that is stylish to me, the unexpected.
3. In the super fast-paced fashion environment, what is the one thing you can’t leave home without?
IF: Well these days, I cannot leave my phone at home. I need to be able to do research, to send and take pictures, and to be in touch with whom I am working with.
4. Did you always have a natural sense for fashion? How did you know that this was the career path you wanted to take?
IF: When I look back at pictures, I have to say, it was my mother who inspired me. She made both her own and my siblings’ clothes. She also made us make our own clothes, teaching us how to knit, crochet, sew, and spin and dye wool. It was incredibly fun as a teenager to learn this craft of making clothes. My mother also had a great sense of 70’s style. Whatever Isabel Marant designs today is what we were making and wearing in Europe as teenagers.
5. When did you know that you wanted to go from working as an editor at a print publication to styling shoots, celebrities and more?
IF: I started my career at VOGUE, assisting one of the most talented stylists in the world, Carlyne Cerf De Dudzeele. I worked as her assistant for five years…I put in the hard work. I worked at the time of the supermodels. Photographers Steven Meisel and Irving Penn’s studio’s were my daily routines. I then became the senior fashion editor at ELLE. It was a natural progression to start working with celebrities and the fashion world as a freelancer.
6. We were lucky to have you style our 2016 “Fit to Be” campaign. Give us a little bit of insight and take us behind the scenes!
IF: I loved being a part of the “Fit to Be” campaign. I had worked with all of these ladies before. I was just very excited to do a denim campaign (denim is my religion!). I love the way these jeans fit on all shapes and sizes. I also love the simplicity of a chic white shirt with a pair of jeans, this has always been so very classic and inspired the look for the group shot.
7. What has been the most rewarding part of being a stylist?
IF: I love collaborating with the photographer and the art directors to come up with a beautiful image. I have loved meeting all the people I have worked with, from models, to photographers, celebrities, art directors to hair and make-up artists.
8. If you could only choose one style of denim to wear, what would it be and why?
IF: That is a hard choice to make, as I love denim. I guess I love the skinny without too much stretch and a cool old pair of boyfriend jeans.
9. What do you like most about the NYDJ brand?
IF: I love the way the jeans fit. They are super comfortable, and I must say I love being a size 4! (Remember, our denim makes you look and feel a size smaller, literally! Click here for more details on our unique and flattering fit.)
10. What are you most looking forward to wearing come warmer weather?
IF: I love wearing cut-off oversized jean shorts with an oversized sweater or T-shirt, and a pair of All-Star sneakers.
11. Our 2016 “Fit to Be” campaign is all about empowering women with a fit that transforms you inside and out and the feelings that come from finding a truly perfect fitting pair of jeans. What are you “Fit to Be” when you put on a pair of NYDJ’s?
IF: I’m fit to be cool. NYDJ’s denim perfectly compliments that street chic effortless style I love.
To see more from stylist Inge Fonteyne, be sure to follow her on Instagram @ingefonteyne.
Inge with our #FitToBe Fab Four behind the scenes at our campaign reveal!